Monday, March 9, 2009

Sunday, 3/8/09

Dawn broke over Orlando today, pushing us into a new era and a new perspective. Melissa, Walter and I (MJW, henceforth) flew out of Orlando International today on US Airways at 8:30am. We flew into Las Vegas around 10:30am local time. We grabbed our bags, rented a car from Budget, and headed south on 93.


Just outside of Vegas, we got stuck in traffic headed towards the Hoover Dam. They are building a super highway, which appears almost complete, to avoid the 2 lane highway that winds over the dam itself. Unfortunately, until that superhighway is complete, there is about an hour of traffic for those 4 miles. But it was exciting to drive over such a famous landmark!


Currently, we are about 50 miles away from Flagstaff, Arizona. I believe that the entrance to the Grand Canyon park is about 20 miles from Flagstaff, and our cabin is on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, about 5 minutes past the entrance.


We stopped at Cracker Barrel about 20 miles ago, in search of Southern Sweet Tea and a harmonica. We scored both, surprisingly. Melissa was not able to bring her guitar and her musical roots are itching for something to play, so we got a harmonica to feed her urges. She sits in the front seat blowing randomly through the holes, creating chaos. I believe she’s shooting for “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”, in tribute to Australia, the movie.


Walter has now taken the harmonica from Mel, and he’s driving 80 miles an hour down I-40 playing the harmonica with one hand, while the other rests on the steering wheel. 


We pass a sign that says, “Slower traffic, keep right.” Mel looks at Walt and deadpans, “Harmonica playing drivers keep right.” We crack up, which is a common theme of the day.


Mel flips on the video camera towards the end of their debut with the harmonica, intending to capture this ridiculousness.


Walt is not much better at Over the Rainbow than Mel, but it’s highly entertaining to watch them both try! I’ve no doubt that they will master this instrument in about a day, and we will begin recording songs on Garage Band. Melissa has to have her music.


I have a feeling that this harmonica will last us through many a day during our travels. 


Our intentions tonight are to sit along the edge of the Grand Canyon, have a glass of whiskey, and stare up at the sky, void of ambient light. Mel and I have discussed the fact that she and I have an inane ability to discuss a meaningless topic for 2-3 minutes with humor. What is fascinating is that Walter is even more talented at meaningless hilarity than we are. The three of us together can entertain ourselves for hours, while driving everyone around us insane with silliness. I have a feeling that tonight will be the perfect example of this. No distractions, such as the internet, TV, etc, consistently leads to a fascinating time, provided you are with fun people.

===

About 45 minutes later, we’re still driving down the road, listening to Writhe (new version vs. old.) I ask Walter and Melissa to turn up the heat because my nose is starting to freeze over in the backseat. Walter is decked out in a brown corduroy jacket; Mel is wearing a tan coat with her favorite gray hat. I, on the other hand, have refused to put on my jacket in the car. They say they are comfortable, so I start to put on my jacket. Next thing I hear is Mel yelling at Walter, “ACTS OF SERVICE! ACTS OF SERVICE!” and they start tearing off their jackets, despite their confining seatbelts. I, halfway in my own jacket, start cracking up. This effort is solely the result of our conversations earlier this week when we were talking about love languages and the role of such on our trip. They love me. 


Walter and Melissa both have words of affirmation listed high on their lists of love languages, and this is not my tendency. We’ve all agreed to work on pouring out love in the ways that each other best receives. Earlier, on the flight I was (sincerely) affirming Walter in a few things. I tell him that his intense eyebrows have a life of their own (definitely a compliment) and that I find him highly entertaining. My next statement is, “I really want a hamburger.” Now, maybe you don’t find this funny, but we certainly did. Apparently, I came across far less sincere simply because I noticed I had a craving. It’s now a random quote added to Mel’s notebook of quotes for our journey.


Love languages: the best way to show you care. Quote books: the best way to make fun of yourself.

===

Last night was COLD. "This like the Artic!" is what Walter said when we walked outside after the sun went down. We stood along the Southern Rim of the Grand Canyon in the moonlight and had a rock throwing contest. We each picked up a big rock and tossed it down, then listened in silence to the echoing crashes below. My first attempt at this was a FAIL, because my rock didn't make it past the little ledge. But I climbed over the rock fence, to the edge, grabbed the rock and threw it over. I think we stayed out there for about half an hour before it became unbearable. We set out to wake up at sunrise this morning, around 6:20 am.


It was a great night at the Grand Canyon. The beauty of this place is truly indescribable. It still blows my mind that this was created solely by erosion.


Pictures to soon follow.


- Jeanne

1 comment:

  1. Dear MWJ, I am so jealous watching the mini-video of you all at the Grand Canyon. It was wonderful to hear your voice, Jeannie. I now have a blog, thanks to John, who is the greatest kid I have!

    ReplyDelete