Saturday, April 25, 2009

Letters Home

Dear US of A,

I'd like to take this time, early on a Sunday morning, to tell you that I miss you, in all your arrogant glory.

It's taken a while, you see, because your influence is everywhere. Plus, Aussies speak English, so the cultural shock is significantly less. In addition, there are a lot of Aussie traditions, such as a lack of wastefulness, that I find intelligent, globally-minded, and therefore embrace.

You could certainly learn a thing from these laid-back people in regard to philosophies of life.

So, I've missed little things about you, particularly Chickfila's sweet tea and chicken nuggets, but overall, you've been out of my mind for some time.

But here we are.

I miss my haven, my huge, chilly room snuggled in the darkness of a windowless existence.
I miss utter solitude.
I miss being able to find a Starbucks or other coffee shop 50 feet from me at any given time.
I miss high speed wi-fi.
I miss cheap books.
I miss seeing sunrises as I leave the gym at 630 or 7am.
I miss my closet, my seemingly infinite shoes and clothes, my style. These clothes I've brought into Australia are utilitarian! Trendy, they are not.
I miss my Liberty Mutualmobile.
I miss shopping at Forever 21 and Urban: cheap clothing, beautiful clothing.
I miss iPhone, like whoa.

The people, my favorites. I miss them. The good thing is that, thanks to Al Gore, I am able to keep in touch with them on a regular basis. I can't imagine life without the internet. But, I miss quiet conversations in dark bedrooms, or loud and rambunctious ones on back porches. I miss singing around bonfires and eating various foods just to be in the presence of someone important. I miss expressions and tone as conversation is had; I miss hugs and laughs more than anything.

I hope you miss me, dear homeland of mine.

We'll reunite soon enough, I think. Until then, take good care of my loved ones and possessions.

In the meantime, please don't change your breading recipe for the chicken nuggets again, CFA.

Thanks.

Love Eternally,

Jeanne

P/S I should add that this letter was inspired by Carolina's always humourous letters to inanimate objects. Shout out!

No comments:

Post a Comment